I have presented various papers and lectures around the world on aspects of translation and technical communication. The following is a list of some of my presentations.
Invited Lectures, Keynotes & Plenaries
- 2012: Web Design for Translators. Guest lecture at Dublin City University, April 2012
- 2011: Developing Translation Specialisms and Marketing Translation Services Online, CPD Workshop given to the Irish Translators’ & Interpreters’ Association, November 2011
- 2011: Understanding the Peer Review Process. Humanities Research Institute, University of Sheffield.
- 2010: Scientific & Technical Translation. Guest lecture at University College London, December, 2010.
- 2010: Textual Cognetics: Using Psychology to Engineer Better Translations. Guest lecture at University of Salford, February, 2010.
- 2009: The Nuts and Bolts of Technical Translation. Guest lecture on technical translation at University College London, December, 2009.
- 2009: Are technical translators writing themselves out of existence? Keynote lecture at 9th Portsmouth Translation Conference, University of Portsmouth, November, 2009.
- 2008: The Trouble with Technical Translation. Imperial College London, 30th November, 2008.
- 2007: Multidimensional Challenges in Technical Translation and plenary panel discussion on translator training at Multidimensional Translation Conference, Vienna, 4th May 2007.
- 2006: Putting the Reader First: The Role of Usability in Technical Translation. Imperial College London, 30th November, 2006.
- 2006: Translation and the Internet: Changing the Face of an Industry. “Translation Technologies & Culture” conference, University of Portsmouth, 11th November, 2006.
- 2003: Translation Studies – Marketplace Opportunities and Future Trends. Seminar for language students organised by Dublin City University Careers Advisory Service.
Conference Papers & Presentations
- 2008: The Role of Technical Communication in Engineering Better Translations. TILS 2008 – Translation, Interpreting & Languages for Special Purposes at the University of Macerata, Italy
- 2008: Learning Technology in the Translation Classroom. XVIII FIT World Congress 2008 in Shanghai.
- 2005: Suppression as a Form of Creativity in Technical Translation. 5th Portsmouth Translation Conference, University of Portsmouth, England.
- 2005: Leveraging TM Technology to Improve Translatability & Usability. LRC-X localisation conference, University of Limerick, Ireland.
- 2005: Rethinking Style in Technical Translation. 2nd DCU International Postgraduate Conference in Translation Studies, Dublin, Ireland.
- 2003: Usability Testing Software User Guides: A Pilot Study. European Information Development Conference/tekom Jahrestagung 2003, Wiesbaden, Germany
- 2003: Not Just for Translators: The Real Benefit of Languages in a Multicultural Society. Intercultural Spaces – Royal Irish Academy Research Symposium, Dublin City University
- 2002: Translation, Quality and Cognetics: New Insights into Translation Quality. Quality Issues in Translation Conference at University of Portsmouth, England
- 2002: Freelance Translation: Teaching Students to Create Their Own Jobs. International Symposium on Specialisms & Specialisations, University of Rennes, France.
- 2002: Iconic Linkage & Translation Quality. Research Showcase, Dublin City University.